Capri is a beautiful island located in the Tyrrhenian Sea off the coast of Italy’s Sorrentine Peninsula on the south side of the Gulf of Naples in the Campania region of Italy. Famous for its stunning scenery, upscale shopping, sunset and vibrant nightlife, Capri is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to southern Italy. The main town of Capri that is located on the island shares the name. It has been a resort since the time of the Roman Republic.
Learn More About Capri in this Documentary (by Free Documentary – Nature)
How to get to Capri:
Capri can be reached by ferry from the ports of Naples, Sorrento, or Salerno. From Naples, there are several ferry companies that offer daily trips to Capri, and the journey takes about an hour. If you are arriving by plane, the closest airport is Naples International Airport. Here is the 2023 Ferry Schedule for Capri.
Where to stay in Capri:
There are several options for accommodations in Capri, ranging from luxury hotels to budget-friendly options. Some of the popular areas to stay in Capri include:
- Marina Grande: This is the main port of Capri, and there are several hotels and restaurants located here. It is a good option if you want to be close to the water and have easy access to the ferries.
- Capri Town: This is the main town on the island, and there are several hotels, restaurants, and shops located here. It is a good option if you want to be close to the main attractions, such as the Piazzetta and the Gardens of Augustus.
- Anacapri: This is a quieter area located on the higher part of the island, and it is known for its panoramic views. It is a good option if you want to escape the crowds and enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere.
Things to Do in Capri:
- Visit the Blue Grotto: This natural sea cave is one of the most famous attractions in Capri. You can take a boat tour to see the blue waters and the stunning cave.
- Take a Boat Tour: Take a boat tour around the island to see the Faraglioni Rock Formations and the beautiful coastline.
- Visit Villa Jovis: This ancient villa was built by Emperor Tiberius in the 1st century AD and offers stunning views of the island.
- Visit the Gardens of Augustus: These beautiful gardens offer stunning views of the Faraglioni rock formations and the sea. Its also famous for Sunset Views
- Take a Hike: There are many beautiful hiking trails in Capri, including the trail to the top of Monte Solaro, the highest point on the island.
- Visit the Piazzetta: This small square is the heart of Capri’s social scene, with many cafes, restaurants, and shops.
- Go to the Beach: Capri has several beautiful beaches, including Marina Piccola, Marina Grande, Cala Grande and Torre Saracena.
- Visit Anacapri: Anacapri is a small town located on the western side of the island, and it offers stunning views of the sea.
- Visit the Arco Naturale: This natural arch is a beautiful geological formation located on the eastern side of the island.
Sunset in Capri
Capri is also famous for its Sunset. It is famous for its incredible beauty and breathtaking views. The island’s location, surrounded by the sparkling Tyrrhenian Sea, makes for an unforgettable sunset experience. As the sun begins to dip below the horizon, an explosion of colours overtakes the atmosphere, with vibrant hues of orange, pink, and purple sweeping across the skyline, providing a magnificent canvas against the island’s scenic panorama. The sun’s warm, glowing rays envelop the island, shining brightly, making everything, including the white buildings and rocky coast, look beautiful and bright.
Many visitors to Capri choose to watch the sunset from one of the island’s many scenic viewpoints, such as the Gardens of Augustus, the Phoenician Steps, or the Punta Tragara Belvedere. One of the best places to watch the sunset in Capri is from the Gardens of Augustus, a public park located in the center of Capri Town. From here, you can see the Faraglioni Rocks and the sea, as the sun sets behind them.
Many visitors also enjoy watching the sunset from the Piazzetta, the main square in Capri Town, which offers stunning views of the sea and the surrounding hills. Others opt for a sunset boat tour, which allows you to take in the stunning views from the water. Another famous spot to watch the sunset in Capri is the Faraglioni Rocks, three towering sea stacks that rise up from the sea. Watching the sun set behind these iconic rocks is a truly magical experience.
Also Check Out: Video Guide for Capri