Hydra Travel Guide by Tourismos Travel Guru
Blue, Transparent & Refreshing Paradise. A tiny minimal greek paradise! Nature and human passion in perfect alignment. A cosmopolitan scenery, yet so relaxing – Hydra island, Attica – Greece.
Population: 1,900 people. Area: 50 km2. 2 hours distance from Piraeus by hydrofoil, 30′ from Ermioni and 20′ from Metochi. Located in the heart of the Argo – Saronic Gulf.
Perfect Option for a Quick Getaway! In Hydra, you won’t see any cars! Everyone uses their foot, boats or donkeys to get around the island. The cars ban, along with the elegant stone mansions of the island, create a charming atmosphere and make the island one of the most serene destinations near Athens.
Hydra shot to fame in 1956 as the location for A Girl in Black, directed by Michael Cacoyannis, with an extra filip in 1957 for hosting Boy on a Dolphin, starring Sophia Loren. Soon various foreign personalities (including Leonard Cohen) bought and restored property here, joining prominent Greeks who had long appreciated the island’s charms. Sumptuous mansions and humbler vernacular homes arrayed amphitheatrically around the marble-quayed harbour date from the 18th and 19th centuries, when Hydriot seafaring prowess brought great wealth.
Despite its high-profile reputation, and the mid-day arrival of “One-Day Saronic Cruises”, the island remains endearingly time-warped: as a listed architectural reserve, all new construction is banned, and the town remains blissfully free of motor vehicles except for two small fire trucks and a few miniature rubbish trucks – photogenic donkeys (or mules) do most haulage.
Where to eat: Hydra taverns: PARADOSIAKO, IL CASTA, 0MILOS, Téchnē Restaurant & Social, PIROFANI (KAMINI) CAFE & BARS – PAPAGALOS, The Pirate Bar– Tourismos Travel Guru
Learn about the Beautiful, Saronic Gulf Greek Island – Hydra, just 2 Hrs from Piraeus that has Stunning Scenery, Crystal Blue Waters & Wonderful Landscape in the Following Video
Based on this Travel Guide by Tourismos Travel Guru- Following Information about Beaches & Attractions has been Provided about Hydra
6 Best Beaches :
1. Hydroneta. In a walking distance from Hydra town. Rocky, blue & luxurious! A rocky swimming area with cemented decks and profound blue waters. It’s a popular place, playing relaxing ambient music 20 hours a day and offering magnificent view over the sea.
2. Vlychos Beach. 2 km west of Hydra Town. Reached by taxi boat or on foot. A small pebbled beach with crystal-clear waters. A few taverns are available near the beach.
3. Mandraki Beach. 2 km east of Hydra Town. A lovely beach, organized with sunbeds, umbrellas and watersports centres. Can be reached by a 25′ walking or by a taxi boat (7’).
4. Kaminia Beach. 1 km west of Hydra Town. Kaminia is a small pebbled beach. Some delicious fish taverns and cafe line the coast. Ideal place for families.
5. Bisti Beach. On the western side of the island. a tiny cove popular for water sport activities such as kayak, snorkel and scuba dive.
6. Molos Beach. About an hour walk, west of Hydra Town separates one from the quiet pebbled beach of Molos. It can also be reached by taxi boat. It has a calm environment.– Tourismos Travel Guru
5 Top Sights & Attractions :
1. Hydra Bastions & Glorious Past. The bastions with cannons that were used for the protection of the harbour in due time war, can still be seen. Explore the island’s rich history!
2. Churches & Monasteries. The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin is located in the port of Hydra. Its main characteristic is the tall bell tower of 1643 made of pure marble from Tinos. The church hosts a small ecclesiastical museum today. The monasteries of Agia Triada, Agia Matrona & Agios Nikolaos near Mandraki are samples of fine christian art and eastern tradition.
3. Hydra Alleys Exploration. Start wandering around the small picturesque alleys of Hydra. Impressive mansions, Museums and the true spirit of the island is there, waiting to be found!
4. Live like a star! Sophia Loren and especially Leonard Cohen have spent great time in Hydra island. This place is really offering to visitors a celebrity sensation with its unique style and glamorous vibes
5. Dokos Island. Known among nature lovers, hikers, and free campers. Beaches in Dokos are small and clean, while the remote landscape is ideal for camping. Don’t miss the lighthouse and the castle’s ruins. You can go to Dokos by water taxi from Hydra, Ermioni or Spetses.– Tourismos Travel Guru