Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, is a coastal city famous for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture. Its location on the Atlantic Ocean gives it a unique character with a blend of the traditional and the modern. Visitors can explore the historic districts of Alfama, Bairro Alto, and Chiado, where they can find narrow streets, Colourful Buildings, and stunning views. The city’s landmarks include the iconic Belem Tower, the impressive Jeronimos Monastery, and the magnificent Sao Jorge Castle.
The city’s museums, including the National Museum of Ancient Art and the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum, provide a glimpse into its rich history and art. Lisbon’s culinary scene is renowned for its fresh seafood, pastel de nata, and wine. The city is also known for its lively nightlife, with bars, clubs, and live music venues found throughout. Visitors can also take a trip to the nearby beaches of Cascais or Sintra for a day trip.
Getting Around: Lisbon’s public transport system is extensive, including metro, trams, buses and trains. Get a rechargeable Viva Viagem card for seamless travel across the city.
There are several ways to get from Lisbon airport to the city Center:
- Metro: Take the red line from the airport to Alameda station, then switch to the green line towards Cais do Sodré or Baixa-Chiado.Aerobus:
- The Aerobus runs regularly from the airport to the city centre, with stops at major hotels and tourist destinations.
Best Things to Do in Lisbon
- Visit the Belem Tower: A UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most recognizable landmarks of Lisbon.
- Explore Alfama: Lisbon’s oldest neighborhood, known for its narrow streets, vibrant colors, and historic charm.
- Take a tram ride: Lisbon’s iconic yellow trams are a fun and efficient way to explore the city’s steep hills and scenic neighbourhoods.
- Visit the Jeronimos Monastery: Another UNESCO World Heritage Site, this 16th-century monastery is a masterpiece of Portuguese architecture.
- Check out the street art: Lisbon is home to some of the most impressive street art in the world, with colorful murals and graffiti covering many of the city’s buildings.
- Relax in a park: Lisbon has several beautiful parks and gardens, including the Jardim da Estrela and the Parque das Nações.
- Enjoy the view from Miradouro de Santa Luzia: This scenic viewpoint offers stunning views of the Tagus River and the Alfama neighborhood.
- Visit the Lisbon Cathedral: One of the oldest churches in Lisbon, known for its Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
- Explore the bohemian Bairro Alto Neighbourhood known for its nightlife, trendy bars, and live music.
- Visit Praça do Comércio, a grand square with stunning views of the Tagus River and once the gateway to Lisbon for centuries.
- Take a ride on the historic Santa Justa Lift and enjoy panoramic views of the city from the top.
- Discover world-class art at the Gulbenkian Museum, featuring an impressive collection including works by Rembrandt and Monet.
Popular day trips from Lisbon
- Sintra: Explore the charming town of Sintra, home to palaces, castles, and stunning natural scenery.
- Cascais: Visit this picturesque coastal town with stunning beaches, historic sites, and a bustling marina.
- Óbidos: Discover this medieval walled town with narrow streets, quaint houses, and a 12th-century castle.
- Arrábida Natural Park: Take a scenic drive to this protected area with stunning beaches, rugged cliffs, and scenic hiking trails.
- Fátima: Visit this important pilgrimage site and see the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary and the Chapel of the Apparitions.
Best Beaches in Lisbon
There are several beautiful beaches in and around Lisbon. Some of the best ones include:
- Praia de Carcavelos: This long, wide beach is popular with surfers and swimmers alike.
- Praia da Ursa: A secluded and unspoiled beach with stunning views of the Atlantic.
- Praia de São Julião: A quieter beach located in a picturesque setting, with great waves for surfing.
- Praia do Guincho: A windy beach that is perfect for Windsurfing and Kitesurfing.
- Costa da Caparica: A long stretch of beach with several different areas and a lively atmosphere.
- Praia da Adraga: A stunning beach with dramatic cliffs and rock formations, perfect for sunbathing and swimming.
- Praia do Meco: A beautiful beach that is popular with locals and offers a more relaxed atmosphere.
- Praia de São Pedro do Estoril: A small, peaceful beach with a charming atmosphere and great views of the coastline.
- Praia da Rainha: A small and picturesque beach located in the town of Cascais, known for its clear waters and soft sand.
- Praia do Tamariz: A popular beach located in the town of Estoril, with calm waters and a wide range of amenities.
Best Dishes to Try in Lisbon
Lisbon is known for its delicious and unique cuisine, influenced by its coastal location and history. Some of the best dishes to try in Lisbon include:
- Pastel de Nata: A creamy egg custard tart with a crispy pastry shell, sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Bacalhau: Salted cod is a staple of Portuguese cuisine, and there are many ways to prepare it in Lisbon, such as Bacalhau à Brás or Bacalhau com Natas.
- Cozido à Portuguesa: A hearty stew made with different meats and vegetables, such as cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and chorizo.
- Sardinhas Assadas: Grilled sardines are a classic summer dish in Lisbon, served with boiled potatoes and a salad.
- Arroz de Marisco: A seafood rice dish with clams, shrimp, squid, and other shellfish, flavored with saffron and tomato.
- Caldo Verde: A traditional soup made with kale, potatoes, and smoked Portuguese sausage.
- Bifanas: A sandwich made with slices of marinated pork, often served with mustard and hot sauce.
- Vinho Verde: A light, refreshing white wine from the northern region of Portugal, perfect to accompany seafood dishes.
- Ginjinha: A cherry liqueur, served in a shot glass, often enjoyed as an aperitif or after-dinner digestif.
- Coffee: Portugal is known for its strong and delicious coffee, and in Lisbon, you can try a bica, an espresso-style coffee, or a galão, a milky coffee similar to a latte.